Thursday, February 12, 2009

Assignment 1: Me, Myself and I

For assignment 1, we had to design our name to fit our personality, character etc.
After giving it some thought, I decided to base my designs around nature and the outdoors! Both of which I love.
From the multiple thumbnails I drew, I narrowed it down to these four sketches.



As you can probably tell, my drawings were based around the ocean, the beach and flowers. I decided to focus on the last one and then proceeded to draw two roughs from this sketch. I wanted to play around with the flowers and I felt that the final piece could be cheery with lots of bright colours.

The first rough I came up with was this.




However, I was afraid that when this was translated into a prototype, the colours of the flowers would take the attention away from my name. Also, I wanted to try and make my name more vine-like, with the letters intersecting more with each other as well as with the creepers along the side, giving the whole thing a more twig like look. So I decide to try and translate these corrections into my next rough which is what you see below.



After fiddling around a little more, this is the final prototype I came up with!



Have to work on it to improve it though, as some commented that the bordering creepers were much more obvious that my name. Will also have to tweak the letters of my name more to make it look more like "Sab".

7 comments:

  1. <33 the Victorian countryside feel to it. +1
    Maybe you can thicken the vines for your name and work on a more intricate feel for a border?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.. I think for your design the 'S' is not very clear because the upper curve is very small and I got distracted by your cursive borders. Maybe the letters and borders could switch colours so that the borders will be lighter and your name would be bolder and hence more striking..

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks like Jab to me.
    maybe just edit on the S letter.

    CK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps the upper tier of the "S" can be rounder? Your work is nice!(: Like the kind of artsy paintings available for sale.

    ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, perhaps you can change to a darker colour for the outline of your name? Your name may appear to be more outstanding in this way. i think you can integrate the borders into your name if you want.

    Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, i think my first impression of the piece was something out of those new korean floral designs.

    Its nice, and i think really the thing to complete it is to make the name the focus. You can thicken the lines, add shadows to them, or even change their colour. Anyway to make them stand out. Good job. If you need help u can ask :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sabrina, I like your work but you know I really think you should refrain from having two tones of the weeds?

    ReplyDelete